sel Live and Let Live!: 6 hour journey for a humble bow lo

Saturday, March 28, 2015

6 hour journey for a humble bow

Yesterday, my husband and I began our queue at the Padang at 5.30pm.


Coincidentally we met 2 ex-colleagues so we queued together. The sun was still glaring and we started perspiring just 5 min into the queue because of the humidity.

We were ready to queue for 10h as what the website and the marshal at the mrt station said. I told myself to just bear with the heat and discomfort as it would only be another hour before the sun sets and I will have 9h to cool down.

There was no question to whether we want to do this or why do we do this. Instinctively, your heart just tell you to do it. There is no need for explanation to anyone. 

Volunteer with a box of snacks.

We collected water, canned herbal tea, cookies, biscuits. There were also umbrellas, tissue papers given out. Along the way there were even cakes, buns, and even stickers.


After 1h in the Padang's holding area, we started walking. 

6.30pm We started walking south from Padang then turned left under the esplanade drive, along esplanade, glutton's bay then towards the Float @Marina Bay.  


7.15pm Passed below Esplanade Drive

By the time we reached the esplanade, the sun has already set and we were treated to the brilliant night scenes.

7.45pm Enjoyed night view of MBS at Esplanade.

8.10pm Held for 30min under the spectator stand at the Float. This is where we could sit down on the floor, take a drink or snack and go toilet.

After that, we continued our slow walk back towards the direction of the Parliament House. By this time, I was already quite tired.

10pm Back to Esplanade Drive.

10.30pm Treated to a wonderful presentation of Fullerton Hotel. This lifted my spirits a bit. The marshals informed us it's just another hour to the Parliament House and tried to cheer us up. I thought to myself, I am too tired to feel any emotions.

10.55pm We reached the white tentage outside the Parliament House where we could write condolence card and go through security screening. 

11.05pm Finally, we reached the front gate of the Parliament House. From here we kept our handphones and cameras.


When I saw through the glass walls the casket and the steady stream of people walking past it, my nose suddenly turned sour. My mind was awake from the fatigue and my body was numb from the physical discomfort. All I could remember thinking was "he means so much to us but we have lost him forever".

In tears, I took a deep long bow in front of him.

Just 5 seconds in front of his casket, marked the end of my 5h 45 min journey. I'm sure everyone who walked out of the Parliament House had the same sentiment as me - it was worth it.

When we reached the City Hall MRT station, I was shocked there were so many people around. My friend said the queue has been suspended at 11am and the people are advised to go home for safety reasons. I felt bad for these people and at the same time was relieved i had paid my last respect for Mr Lee.



Initially we planned to go for some food and drinks before going home. But it was really not possible. So we parted ways.

It was good that the MRT will operate 24h that night. We took the train to Tiong Bahru and had some food and drinks before going home.


This experience is something I would remember forever. 

Thank you and goodbye, Mr Lee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home