In loving memory of a mentor
Yesterday, Xiaolan was telling me that CAWT doubted our experimental results. I was very angry. CAWT wanted us to show them how we did the experiments. I said no. It would seem that they are checking us. Even if the profs decided that we want to help them, they should come and show us how they did the experiments, not the other way round. Moreover, why should we be liable for experiments which they can't do properly?
I suddenly remembered what my late senior manager (working in Keppel) said.
"Always place yourself in a higher position."
Perhaps, I was not able to understand the essence of that statement at that time. It doesn't mean that you must be proud or arrogant. Now, I think it meant that you should not let others belittle you.
This senior manager, Mr Cheng, was a really fierce person. He worked in the shipyard in the past, that's why he's like a 粗人. I saw him scolding someone in the phone on my mere 2nd day of work. I was super shocked and in cold sweat. I could hear him at the other end of the entire office. If he were to scold me at 20% of that strength, I would have broken down and cried.
Engineers working under him got a lot of respect from other colleagues who worked in other departments or other subsidiaries of Keppel. Suppliers and subcontractors also treated us with caution. May it be out of fear or otherwise but it made our job a lot easier.
I remembered once, I was assigned to handle a tender project. It was the first time I took full responsibility without the supervision of a senior engineer, plus I had to work together with Keppel FMO's colleague. I was new and things were not exactly smooth. One day, the engineer from FMO requested that I travel down to their Tuas HQ office to meet them (my office was in Changi ok!). When I told the Mr Cheng about it, he was furious. He demanded that they come down and fetch me instead. When the poor engineer came down to fetch me, he was called to his office and given a earful.
After this incident, FMO gave us full support in the project. No more delays, no more pointing fingers and no more dilly-dallies.
I was impressed. And I've learnt an important lesson. Do not let others bully you.
He was also the one who believed in me and gave me the opportunity to go to Maldives for the Tsunami Relief project. Even when I've already tendered resignation.
He passed away on 24 Sep 2005. I had already left Keppel.
He has taught me so much more. Thank you, Mr Cheng.

1 Comments:
wow..
Post a Comment
<< Home